Thursday, March 09, 2006


"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away..." Well, except that that was me crankily crooning after having the mike thrust in my face by class C02. Yes, we were at kareoke, and up to that point I had cunningly managed not to sing. But "Yesterday" is a Vietnamese favourite, and what better than having an English voice to sing it, especially if she is your very embarrased teacher.

So that was how my Women's Day continued. I went back to class, and was then cajoled to kareoke with whatever English they had. In England, they would have used a few beers to prepare me for such an ordeal, in Vietnam I had a fizzy orange. Not really the same I feel...

In fact I was fizzy oranged out by the end of the night as after kareoke I went dancing with Phuong Anh and her colleagues. So I proved that I could neither dance or sing, but I did find out why her colleague's English is so good - they translate HBO and the Disney Channel into Vietnamese.

Apparently sometimes they are not given scripts and they cannot work out what people are saying so "I think maybe you can help...?"

I can just see me trying to explain steamy scenes in Sex in the City and Desperate Housewives...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home